CBeebies’ brand-new grandmother and granddaughter duo arrives on Asian screens for the first time ever in the first season of JoJo and Gran Gran. Follow their everyday adventures as 5-year-old JoJo learns how to get on a bus and bake a cake while her parents are away at work, and discovers more about her own culture through Gran Gran’s timeless tales along the way. The show imparts values of family community, multiculturalism and roots, while paying homage to the active roles grandparents play in raising children too.
To commemorate the Hindu festival of lights this November, the Diwali Special brings together the best of friends, from Thomas the Tank Engine, to the Teletubbies, Duggee and the Go Jetters. Watch as they learn to decorate their homes for the festivities, plan surprises and travel to India’s most iconic cultural landmark in this 45-minute special of cheer and fellowship.
JoJo and Gran Gran
Animation | Episodes: 11 x 11’
JoJo is almost five, and Gran Gran is her wise and loving grandmother. They live close to each other, and Gran Gran always has something fun planned to do when JoJo comes to visit.
Fun Facts with JoJo and Gran Gran:
- Gran Gran hails from the sunny Eastern Caribbean island-country of St Lucia, and now lives in the same bustling London neighbourhood as JoJo and her parents.
- Season 1 features adventures such as visiting the farm, the hunt for a butterfly, how to make up a story, how to spring clean for the new year, and how to learn the traditional St Lucian Moulala dance.
- Each bright, lively episode focuses on themes such as the passing of time – life cycles, weather seasons, growing up, and the steps to bake a cake – and family traditions from St Lucian culture. Also featured is a live-action segment with children audiences, to help talk through the learning takeaways from the show.
- The show aims to represent vibrant family life and the importance of strong multigenerational communities that interact with each other. Young children can learn more about St Lucian heritage, but also be inspired to explore their own family cultures through tales and games with their grandparents!
- JoJo and Gran Gran is adapted from Laura Henry-Allain’s picture books of the same name, written based on her own relationship with her grandmother. She is vice-president of the British Association for Early Childhood Education and consults with schools, governments and companies on childcare and preschool education.
- Laura Henry-Allain says of the show: “I wanted to convey the deep connection between the two, the excitement at the world around her that JoJo has and Gran Gran’s wisdom, experience and zest for life”.
Animation | Episodes: 1 x 45’
Celebrate the Hindu festival of lights with friends from all across CBeebies’ shows. This seasonal festive episode features stories of togetherness and joy from Thomas & Friends (Pop Goes Thomas, Surprise Surprise), Teletubbies (Tiddlytubby Party), Hey Duggee (The Decorating Badge, The Family Photo Badge, The Dancing Bug Badge), Go Jetters (The Taj Mahal, India).
|Programme||Premieres||When||Where to watch|
|Diwali Stunt||Saturday, 14 November 2020||2:50pm||CBeebies:
|JoJo and Gran Gran||Tuesday, 17 November 2020||6:35pm||CBeebies: